The Flyers lose to the Carolina Hurricanes 4-1. Lone Flyers goal from Nicklas Grossmann (4). Hurricanes goals scored by Justin Faulk (11), Jeff Skinner (15), Jordan Staal (4), and Jay McClement (4).
The Flyers have sent their fans on a roller coaster of emotions over the past couple days with losses to the Sabres and Hurricanes, while beating the Predators and Capitals. It’s really a head-scratcher to why this team can beat some of the best teams in the league yet fall short to the worst in the league.
Not only have the Flyers lost to the worst, and 4th-worst team in just 5 days, the Flyers have a record of just 5-5-1 against teams that are not in a playoff spot since January 1st. To make the loss look even worse, former healthy scratch Alex Semin was one of the main reasons the Hurricanes won. Semin had 2 assists which was his 1st multi-point game since October 11th where he recorded 2 assists vs the Islanders. Semin also had a season-high 7 shots on goal.
- Jake Voracek continues to play well in a career-high year and has found himself tied for first in the league again with 64 points in 61 games.
- Nicklas Grossmann scored his 4th goal of the season, and it came with good timing as the trade deadline is just 7 days away.
- The Boston Bruins lost in regulation to the Canucks, so the Flyers didn’t lose any ground and are still 4 points out of the playoffs.
- Kimmo Timonen might play Saturday!
- The Flyers continue to lose to teams below them in the standings, and gave up a chance to be only 2 points back from the final wild card spot.
- Ray Emery was apparently injured at practice so we will probably rush Mason back from injury way too soon and start him Thursday