Flyers lose to the Columbus Blue Jackets 5-2. Flyers goals scored by Wayne Simmonds and Michael Del Zotto both in the second period and Blue Jackets goals by James Wisniewski, Ryan Johansen, Matt Calvert and Brandon Dubinsky. Ray Emery had 21 saves on 25 shots while Curtis McElhinney stopped 42 of 44 shots.
Everything was in the Flyers favor, the shots, the possession the goddamn Corsi and every other fancy stat all said that the Flyers should have won this stupid game. But they were losing in the one fancy stat that mattered…goals. It’s unbelievable that this game where the Flyers technically dominated the Jackets had fans calling this one of the worst performances of the past two months. They dominated! According to every statistic, they were ahead in pretty much every category and yet they played like sshhhiiittttt. Not only did they seem to play bad, McElhinney just couldn’t be beat, the Flyers couldn’t beat him, actually I’m not sure they could’ve scored on an empty net., their luck was just that bad.
The first period could be summed up by a couple of bad bounces and unlucky goals and the Blue Jackets were up 2-0. Then Wayne Simmonds scored seconds after a power play ends and the lead is cut in half. Shortly after that Michael Del Zotto scores from the faceoff circle and it’s all tied up and we believe they can win it and get closer to catching Boston.
Ten minutes into the third period, the Flyers blow it. After Emery makes two great saves, the Flyers fail to clear the zone, Vinny Lecavalier turns the puck over and it comes back for a goal.
I’ve gotta be honest I didn’t see the fourth goal. I stopped watching after the third. Didn’t see it, but I know it happened and even if I DID see it I’m not sure I’d want to remember it, maybe I just blocked it out. The final nail in the coffin was the empty-netter to make it 5-2.
Not so shitty things:
- After the first line had yet another shitty period, managing a whopping ZERO shots on goal in the first period, Michael Raffl was put back on the left wing alongside Claude Giroux and Jake Voracek and Brayden Schenn was moved down to third line center. The switch saw an immediate boost, but still wasn’t enough to get the first line a goal.
- The Flyers presented Scott Hartnell with a check for $10,000 for the #HartnellDown Foundation.
- The Flyers next game is against the Buffalo Sabres so hopefully it will end better than this game.
Evening the Score’s 3 stars of the night:
- Kimmo Timonen- who cares that he didn’t play, Timonen was the most hopeful thing that happened to the Flyers today. He gives me hope and I’m ignoring the shitty defense that went on today and focusing on the light at the end of the tunnel.
- Wayne Simmonds- Wayne Train keeps on going. His 22nd goal of the season helped the Flyers come back from a two-goal deficit.
- Michael Del Zotto- Tied the game up, one of the not so useless defensemen on the team right now. Re-sign him, hire Timonen to coach him and the prospects and we’ll be good on D.